Carpet is the floor covering of choice for many people due to its warmth, softness underfoot and insulation from the clattering noise of footsteps. Most carpets offer value and durability as well as eye appeal in the home. The one disadvantage is that it is impossible to wash them – at least on a frequent basis, since they take so long to dry. Instead, other means of carpet cleaning should be undertaken. Your choice of carpet care will depend on the type of carpet you have and the cause of the dirt or stain.
- Vacuuming is one of the best ways to clean your carpet. A good vacuum cleaner can suck most of the loose dirt, pet hairs and dander, pollen and dust from the carpet and make it almost like new again. But not all vacuum cleaners do a good job on the carpet areas in the home because the suction is not strong enough, especially on carpet with a deep pile.
- Smelly carpets can be cleaned by sprinkling powder or spraying with a special foam before vacuuming. Note: the foam requires time to dry before being vacuumed off.
- Sweeping with a straw broom or using a dustpan and brush can remove small areas of loose dirt or dry spills, especially on a carpet with short or no pile.
- Mopping with a cloth must be done if you spill something wet onto the carpet, especially if it will stain. Wine, coffee and tea need to be mopped up immediately. Use a dry cloth first and simply press down over the stain to absorb as much moisture as possible. Then use a damp cloth and wipe from the edges of the stain to the centre so it does not spread. Do not scrub at the stain.
- DIY major cleaning can be done with a purchased or rented carpet shampoo machine. These are not always successful simply because they are not strong enough to remove the moisture from the underlay as well as the carpet. This can cause further staining, or mould can grow underneath the carpet.
- Professional carpet cleaning is a good choice as the commercial equipment used is much stronger than anything available to the homeowner. The dirty water will be sucked out of the carpet and underlay so it doesn’t take long to dry. It also saves you a lot of time and effort, as the professionals will also remove the furniture from the room and replace it after they have finished. They can tell what type of carpet you have so they know which are the best cleaners to use on it.
Carpet can be ruined by trying to clean it yourself if you don’t do it correctly. This is often why homeowners don’t attempt to do a major carpet clean themselves. But if a carpet is never professionally cleaned it can become a harbour for dust mites – which are allergens – and even fleas, if pets are allowed inside.
Vacuuming cannot remove all the dirt or clean the carpet in the way it needs cleaning, even though it is a necessary part of cleaning your home. Having the carpet cleaned by professionals can make it look like new again and restore the colour you had forgotten about, as well as getting rid of the accumulated allergens that your vacuum cleaner misses.